Photo Courtesy of

Sarah Fletcher Photography, 2012

Monday, March 9, 2009

To the Zoo!


Within 6 days we went from snow day to spring day! Crazy, but hey, we'll take it! Saturday morning Lily and I headed off to the National Zoo. Before I get to the zoo excitement, let me just give you a taste of navigating through the streets of DC. We drove all the way down Connecticut Ave to the Zoo. About half way there, traffic comes to a halt. There are three lights with about 2 blocks between each light. For some unexplainable reason, it took us almost 20 minutes to get through those three lights....ok, maybe it was really only about 10 minutes, but when you are not moving and you have no idea why, time moves slower than the pace you are or in my case, are not moving!

We finally get to the zoo gates and turn in to park. This is the National Zoo people, you would think they often get large crowds right? Apparently, parking is not the priority here....three lots, yes three is all they have! These lots probably accommodate, oh, maybe 75-100 cars. Lovely. So we flipped a u-ey, and drove through the little side streets to find a place to park. Now I am a little directionally challenged, so after parking, I mapped out our parking location, pictures, landmarks, street names, the works. After almost one hour in the car, we made it the 9.5 miles to the zoo! I love DC!

Anyway, now to the good part, pictures! Lily had a great time. We saw an elephant get a bath, sea lions do some nifty tricks, lions lazily prowl about, tigers pace back and forth, gorillas pound their chests (hopefully out of happiness?), an orangutan walk a tight rope, pandas munch on bamboo, and zebras stand like statues. It was a great success, with only one meltdown! Oh and if you are wondering, we made it back to the car just fine, and it only took us 30 minutes to get home :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

cute pics and darling child! Love, Grandma Suzi See you soon!

Sblogger said...

Sounds like quite the adventure Aim! Wow. I really like driving in Utah! Glad you got back to spring and that you got to go to the zoo. Wish we could go together with our kids to the zoo. Wouldn't that be a blast?

Stephanie Saunders said...

Oh, to have nice weather! Lucky you!

Amanda said...

fyi - there are 5 parking lots at the zoo...keep driving past lot C and down the hill, there are 2 more lots down there :)

Glad you enjoyed the weather! I need to take the kids again, soon.

leandparkermakes3 said...

I'm glad you finally made it to the zoo! Time also seems to go slower when you have a little one in the back seat! I always pray we make it to where we are going without a melt down! It looks like you had a good time once you got there! Can't wait to see you!